Monday, February 26, 2007

The Perfect Storm



I usually only leave my fortress under the protection of darkness, but I wanted to make a Bob Dylan snowman, and take a picture of it for my blog. The Bob idea fell apart when I couldn't find the right hat or fashion a harmonica holder out of a wire hanger. I decided to just work with what I had.

The nice little snowstorm we had was just perfect. Six or eight more of these little storms, and I'll be satisfied and ready to move on to the next season. Watching the swirling snowflakes, I started thinking about the upside of chaos, and how maddening control can be. life would be so dull without a bruhaha or hullabaloo.
Physicists say that chaos is the norm in the universe, so we may as well go with the flow.
Doctors say to sharpen your brain, you should create some chaos in there, by learning a new language, reading the newspaper out loud as if it were poetry, or walking around your town backwards.
Carl Jung said "In all chaos, there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order." This quote comes in handy for days when you don't want to clean your house.

People who constantly strive for order and perfection are fighting a losing battle anyway, and stressing out all the while. Up or down, it seems that chaos is always there, like when you fall in love and you feel like you're on a roller coaster, or when you have some challenge to meet, and you step forward, thinking, 'Here I go, I'm a schmuck on wheels to even get involved in this!' But you do anyway, because it is part of your job to keep adding to the chaos.


"Chaos is a friend of mine."
--Bob Dylan