Saturday, January 19, 2008

Chéd et Fréd

Last night I dreamt I met Frédéric Malle. He spoke so quickly though, (and my own French is so rudimentary) I couldn't make out what he was saying. He talked and talked and talked and didn't give me any free perfume either-- not a single drop. It was just a frustrating dream and I tried to pull this interpreter guy into the room, but the dream ended before I could do so.

Frédéric created "Frédéric Malle Editions de Parfums" and is the grandson of Serge Heftler, the man who created Parfums Christian Dior. What I like about Fréd--is how he treats his perfumers like the artists that they are. Perfumers work hard to create and perfect a scent, and that hard work and artistry should be appreciated even when your body chemistry does not agree with a scent. After all, you can't wear them all... and perfumers can't make everything "you" specific. Fréd grew up appreciating perfumes and being realistic as well as romantic about them. His company makes modern perfumes in the classic way.

Fréd is also the nephew of the late film maker Louis Malle and wanted to give the gift of a tuberose scent to his aunt, Candice Bergen. The fragrance was named "Carnal Flower." Perfumer Domonique Ropion spent two years crafting the scent. Carnal Flower contains the highest amount of tuberose absolute in any fragrance. If tuberose is not your thing, there are many other fine perfumes in the collection.


"Dreams are by definition, cursed with short life spans."
--Candice Bergen

Louie Malle made some great films. 'Damage' was based on the novel of the same name by Josephine Hart.
'Zazie dans le Metro' and 'My Dinner with Andre' are two other Louie Malle films that I enjoyed watching.