Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Why I go to the Big Crazy Mall

No, I'm not crazy, and I don't crave punishment. But I do go to the mall every so often. Why? I'll tell you why--


There's a huge Japanese bookstore at the mall, and I always find a good book there. They have hundreds of books of Haiku, and loads of novels, memoirs, histories, classics, and short story collections. Plus they have little teeny notebooks, cool pens, and incredible art supplies.


This is a book I got and it is a real classic. At first it was just a short story that appeared in installments in a literary magazine back in 1905. Then the short story became the first chapter of an epic trilogy that is a classic of world literature.

I Am a Cat is the story of an unloved, unwanted kitten who is the observer of human nature for Natsume. A very inventive and brilliant book.